Wednesday, April 13, 2016

An Autism Success Day

Most days are pretty successful but Autism still sometimes wins. Andrew has been fighting really hard lately to overcome some of his ticks and has had a great deal of self awareness for the last few months. We strive to get all of our kids to overcome any obstacles in life so its awesome seeing him doing this on his own. I guess I can't say fully on his own because he said he's been praying about it and God has been guiding him in this journey.

The other day I overheard a girl telling a friend that she had a crush on a boy. The girl asked her who and she pointed over at Andrew. My heart literally skipped a beat. Andrew is 13 years old and has a crush or two on a couple girls in the past but a girl has never really shown interest in him and he has some self-esteem issues because of that. Andrew really wants to have a family some day. He talks a lot about what kind of husband and father he will be when he grows up. There's a tiny part of me that fears that he won't be able to have his dream. I know our God is amazing and will overcome every obstacle with Andrew and he will have his family one day but to see this glimpse reminded me that one day there will be a woman that will see Andrew for his heart and for who he really is even with Autism.

That night I was praying with Andrew and we started talking about his future. I told him about the girl (I didn't tell who it was) and I told him that I was proud of how hard he is working to be the man God wants him to be. I also told him that I truly believe that God is going to bring him a wonderful Christian woman and that if he keeps relying on God that he will lead his family to do great things for Christ. We prayed for his future. Thanking God for letting others see our true selves and for God giving us strength to overcome every obstacle. Andrew had so much joy from the prayer and knowing that a girl had a crush on him.

Our family went outside to ride bikes yesterday. Andrew has never shown much desire to ride a bike, or even own one for that matter.  Andrew had rode a bike with training wheels when he was 6 or 7 but wasn't really interested much in that one either and refused to ride it after only a couple of days. After working with Megan, my 7 year old, on riding her bike without training wheels for a little while, Andrew started talking about trying to ride a bike. His brother, Tyler, offered to let him try out his bike. Andrew pushed off a few times, teetering to the side occasionally while trying to figure out how to balance. I didn't expect much since he has never rode a bike without training wheels at all. After 5 or 6 times of teetering side to side Andrew just took off. He rode all down the driveway, on the sidewalk, through the grass and anywhere else he could without putting his feet down at all. We were all in shock at how fast he picked it up. Needless to say we are going to go buy him his own bike later this week. He is so excited to go riding as a family.

I love how God sends us these unexpected surprises. We had already accepted that Andrew didn't want anything to do with bikes and yet here he is riding completely on his own the first day he tried it. God is so completely amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment